Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Week 8 (Oct 7-13): A New Exercise Goal

I have a new exercise goal!  I needed a new exercise wagon to hitch a ride on, so here it is:  Over the next 12 months I will log 625 miles or 1.25 million extra steps.  For the first 3 months, I will log on average 1 mile or roughly 2000 steps daily (based on the average person's stride of 2.5 feet).  That's 84 miles by new year's day!  For the next 3 months, 1.5 miles or 3000 extra steps daily (133 miles total).  For the next 3 months, 2 miles or 4000 extra steps daily (180 miles). And for the final 3 months, 2.5 miles or 5000 extra steps (228 miles).  I came up with this idea for 2 reasons: 1. Biking or walking around the nieghborhood is an activity I am more likely to keep up long term and 2. I can count basically any activity using my step count - if the weather is bad and I choose a workout video, or if I have errands/chores to do, or if I just go to the park with my daughter.  Coincidentally, if I walk all 625 miles I will burn approximately 62500 calories which will equate to about 18 lbs - exactly the weight I have left to lose!  Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment