Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Week 7: Overwhelmed with Information

By now, we all know about "organic" and have our own opinions over whether we find organic beneficial or not.  Maybe we buy organic milk and apples but we don't worry about our melons, potatoes, or eggs.  Whatever your opinion, we all know that organic is expensive and sometimes that is the bottom line.  Sometimes we just buy fresh produce and say that's better than no produce at all.  I'm on THAT bandwagon.  BUT, we also grow some of our own veggies in our very own pesticide-free backyard garden.  That's how we make organic affordable for our family.  Now, something we know less about is GMOs (genetically modified or engineered organisms and foods).  It's something I'm beginning to research.  So far, I'm finding myself highly overwhelmed by all the information, or lack thereof as GMOs are not labeled on any products.  The only way to know if a product is GMO free is if you see the Non-GMO Project label which indicates that a product is verified as GMO free.  Problem?  I don't even recognize the brands that are listed on the Non-GMO Project website.  Which means that we have no foods in our entire house that are recognized as GMO-free.  What is this stuff doing to our bodies?  Nevermind it is making us fat and bloated, but it may be causing liver damage and even cancer as evidenced in rat studies.  I'm finding myself full of anxiety about what I'm putting in my body and what I'm feeding my family.  I'm also finding myself feeling defeated because we can't possibly eat organic or even GMO-free without breaking the bank.  What hurts most?  The products advertised to us as "healthy" options for our kids - Chex and Kix cereal for example - are on the list of products containing GMOs.  We are willingly feeding this stuff to our kids and we think we are doing something good for them.  I'm nearly in tears.  I don't often get on the bandwagon of becoming scared of these kinds of thing but THIS scares me. 

More to come...  

No comments:

Post a Comment